Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Famous for Learning

Two weeks ago I walked into a 9th grade History classroom and noticed the "Homework Wall of Fame." Intrigued, I copied the diagram for this Wall of Fame. Papers were clipped to the wall in clusters, displaying homework that I could tell - even from a distance - was robust. I could see stars in red ink and compliments of "Great Work!"

In the book by William Ayers entitled To Teach, he mentions that "In my classrooms, from preschool to graduate school, the work of my students always adorn the walls. Stories and essays, charts and surveys, big projects and little projects are always in sight" (66). Having student's work an integral part of the learning environment seems to make the focus about the students, the students, the students. This is a place to come, be at home, expand one's mind.

Ayers continues that "[my students] see their work publicly displayed and valued. And they become more present and more visible to me and to one another through the acknowledgement of the products of their thoughts and labor." I took such notice of the Wall of Fame because I saw that indeed, the hard work of students was valued. The classroom is a place to be understood, to be seen, to be acknowledged. Creating an environment where excellence is noted, displayed, and valued, creates an experience that "Yes, I am important. Learning is important."

So those students who want to be famous, maybe all it takes is to dive into their homework.



Ayers, William. To Teach: The Journey of a Teacher. New York: Teachers College, 1993. Print.


1 comment:

  1. Cool Idea, I look forward to using in my classroom! - Tremaine

    ReplyDelete